Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Why I'm Not An "Environmentalist," But I Eat Organic, Recycle, and Take the Train!



I've recently realized that some people might be terrified of my love for natural/physical/biological intelligence. They might think I'm on the side of those who feel the Earth and Nature would be better off with way fewer people.

Let me make my position clear. I am for WIN-WIN-WIN.


I stand for every single person on Earth having the freedom and resources needed to live life as they see fit.


I believe that every single human being has the right to choose their own path through life, so long as they extend that right to every other human being. 


Getting to this level of mutual pleasure is not always easy or, in the short run, possible, given our current social and legal structures. However, each of us can choose to commit to learning how to get closer to this ideal, step by step.


We have Nature on our side. Nature wants to support us, and wants us to live fulfilled lives.

If we really understood this, we could start getting creative. "Okay, Nature, you're the expert in planetary systems. How do we comfortably provide clean air, water, sunshine, food, shelter, and supportive community structures to 7 billion culturally diverse people, while maintaining the overall vitality of the planet?" It can be done.

Right now, we're on the wrong track. People are starving. Animal and plant species are going extinct. The air, water, and soil are contaminated by radiation, heavy metals, pesticides, and chemicals. All these things happen to protect "vested interests." Some people actually think that they win when others lose.

I invite you to take a moment and look at this issue... Are you feeling guilty or ashamed because an environmental group or environmental writer told you that overpopulation is destroying the planet? Do you feel vaguely bad because you wonder whether it's a good thing that you're alive? Do you think Mother Nature feels anger and hatred toward you?

I say, turn your desire to be a good person to better use. Take a few moments to get into the "zone." (See my post of August 17, 2011.) Then ask yourself, "What can I do right now to create more win-win-win in my life? For myself and my family and friends? For myself and the Nature beings who are involved in my life, whether plant, animal, rock, air, water, or fire?" The win-win-win concept does not work unless you're winning too!


That's why I eat organic, non genetically-modified food, recycle paper, and take the train. Not to "do right by the environment," but to win. When I do these things, I win.  So do other people. So do Nature beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment