Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Do You Believe Science?


I read this week about a woman who got cancer in her breast—the cancer was in the exact shape of her cell phone because she kept it in her bra. You can get all the details here.

This news story really got me wondering. Did the woman not notice that she was being injured by her phone? Was there no sign at all of a possible problem until she was experiencing cancer? If there were “distant early warning signs” did she ignore them? Did she ignore them because of distraction and busyness? Because she didn’t think herself worthy of her own attention? Because someone had assured her mobile phones are safe? Because she thought she had no alternative but to keep her phone right on her breast? Or some other reason?

For me, all it takes is five minutes of a wireless or mobile phone to my ear, and I can feel my head heating up on that side. And the heat doesn’t feel good to me. So I use wireless phones only when I have no other choice.

I’m not trying to be superior here. It's possible this woman's cancer showed up with no prior warning whatsoever. But certainly, the rest of us are receiving a potent warning from her situation. How many of us will heed it?

Now if you listen to the scientists, some will tell you wireless devices are dangerous. Others will tell you there’s no real evidence that they do harm.

Whatever they say, I know how my body feels when I use one and that’s 
what drives my final decision.

I am certain that science will never provide all the answers. For starters, everybody’s body is unique. Scientific exploration and experimentation cannot ever keep up with all the possibilities.

Also, science is influenced by many non-scientific considerations. It matters who pays for the science. It also matters what the scientist believes about human bodies and minds, human society, Divinity/Source, and natural/biological/physical intelligence.

I consider science a good source of hints and clues, sometimes even providing a useful stream of information. I will never give a scientist or a scientific study final authority over what happens in and to my body. The final decisions belong to me and me alone, and I usually research science, stories and clinical experiences, and practice reflection, meditation, and self-observation and self-respect to make choices about what I do.

I also take the attitude that learning is always necessary and that I’d better pay attention to the consequences of the choices I make in case there’s more I need to learn to make a better choice.

What do you believe in enough that you would change something 
in your life because of your belief? Why do you believe it?

No comments:

Post a Comment