Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pleasure... True or False?

I use the word pleasure a lot.

By "pleasure" I mean enlivened feelings that are in alignment with my life purposes and my physical vitality.

Many so-called pleasures lose their allure when considered from this larger context.

When we consciously work with natural/biological/physical intelligence to gain guidance on how to embody our life purposes and increase our energy and vitality, our pleasure expands steadily, along a balanced, non-addicted path.

To me, this pleasure is valuable beyond words, because it is a whole-body experience, that extends from the atomic and subatomic particles that make up my internal organs, to the outer reaches of my electromagnetic structures. When we experience pleasure, we rightfully want more of it. We start noticing which ways of living dampen pleasure, and which ways of living strengthen it, and our creativity is sparked—we work on figuring out how to create more pleasure.

If all of us insisted daily on experiencing more pleasure, pleasure that enlivens us, many grave and potentially disastrous problems on Planet Earth would be solved quickly. 

For example if we were seriously committed to our own pleasure, I doubt many of us would want to wear clothing whose manufacture involved suffering. And as the singer in the video below reminds us, there's a fine line between pleasure and pain! What looks so good on the rack might not be as appealing if we researched who made it and how. Deception, secrecy (when's the last time you found a clothing tag with a picture of the factory on it?) and seduction are very powerful forces when combined with an anticipation of pleasure—"that dress is gonna look great on me!"

Please don't misunderstand me. I take great pleasure in seeing and wearing beautiful clothes. What I'm exploring here is the question of what pleasure and beauty look like when we take the whole of a situation into account.

This video is of a group called the Divinyls, recorded in 1985. For full details, see http://youtu.be/_aYzQb6cc5E

No comments:

Post a Comment